Diversity at St. John's
Those responsible for the governance and growth of the Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools are to assure that the policies and procedures dealing with the treatment of administrators, support staff, teachers, students, and their parents reflect gospel care and justice. Likewise, they should assure that financial provisions are made to enroll the poor and marginalized.
This mandate - taken from the 24th Chapter of the Xaverian Brothers Sponsored Schools on Mission, Vision and Values - inspires our diversity initiatives at St. John's Prep.
Rooted in the Gospel values of human dignity and justice, we seek to recruit, welcome and retain students and faculty from marginalized and under represented segments of the communities in our area. We embrace and celebrate the uniqueness and value of each person. We strive to:
- Welcome every child of God who is academically prepared to pursue a college prep education;
- Reach out to communities of need and diversity, to peoples of color, to the economically disadvantaged, and to families who may hesitate to apply to St. John's Prep;
- Celebrate the dignity and value of each person, and thereby foster a community of hospitality, justice and peace;
- Assure that financial provisions are established to support students who demonstrate financial need.
Diversity is not only a question of fairness, but also of quality. A more diverse and culturally representative community fosters broader perspectives and enhances the quality of education. We believe that:
- Multiple perspectives contribute to curricular integrity and promote academic excellence.
- The presence of difference is common in the global marketplace, and cross-cultural competency will be a major asset to our graduates.
- A commitment to diversity supports our school's mission to "honor the diversity that enriches both our school community and the world beyond St. John's" as we "pursue justice and peace."