High School Athletics
We emphasize the development of basic skills, appropriate attitudes, values and team concepts. Participation at the varsity level is generally limited to the most highly skilled players and those with the ability to interact with other players for team success.
We strive to allow as many students as possible to participate and share the experience and benefits derived from team membership. We endeavor to compete successfully with Catholic Conference and non-league opponents, and with teams or individuals of Division I in state competition. An important goal of the program is to help students to learn the meaning of wellness – a full commitment to the physical aspect of sports, but also to the social, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual aspects of developing the whole person.
- Football: third Friday in August
- All other sports: second Thursday preceding Labor Day
Winter Season: Monday after Thanksgiving
Spring Season: Third Monday in March
The conclusion of the season is defined to include participation through the last MIAA sponsored tournament or event.
All candidates for athletic teams must meet the following requirements prior to attending any tryouts or practice sessions:
- Submit a completed physical to the Nurse’s Office. Date of physical must be within 13 months of the start of the season. More information here.
- Complete an ImPact test. More information here.
- Demonstrate parent/guardian permission to participate, noted on the Parent/Student Handbook.
- Be less than 19 years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year. Students in grade 9 must be less than 16 years of age on or before September 1 of the freshman year.
- Demonstrate and maintain academic eligibility.
- Fulfill all financial obligations to the School and return all equipment issued the previous season.
- Be in good standing in connection with disciplinary issues.
Students transferring into St. John’s Prep must work with the Athletic Director to ensure eligibility for participation in the interscholastic athletic program. The Principal is responsible for declaring eligibility of all transfer students.
The coach will make all decisions relative to the level of play and placements on teams (varsity, junior varsity or freshman) most beneficial to the development and progress of each player. It should be understood that playing time could be limited by the strategy of the game.
During the tryout period, each coach will provide an explanation of his/her expectations. It is the duty of the student to demonstrate to the coach that he can fulfill these expectations. If a student is not selected for a team, he may contact the coach personally for an explanation. Students not selected are encouraged to explore other athletic opportunities at St. John's.
The coaching staff of each sport has the sole responsibility for selecting the members of the team, determining the level of play beneficial to the development of each player, and the amount of playing time. Player concerns should be addressed first between the player and coach. If a significant resolution is not reached, parents may schedule a meeting with the coach. If a resolution is not reached between the athlete, parent and coach, the matter may be presented to the athletic director.