Tuition and Assistance
We believe that St. John's offers an unparalleled educational experience and an exceptional value among private schools in the Boston area. We also believe that a Prep education should be available for every qualified young man, regardless of financial need. That's why we encourage you to apply for tuition assistance.
Some 39 percent of students receive need-based tuition assistance, we meet 99% of families' demonstrated need, on average. St. John's Prep uses the services of Blackbaud Financial Aid Management to process and determine need for all tuition assistance applications.
|Income Range||Average Award|
|Up to $75,000||$22,295|
|$225,001 and more||$7,580|
Tuition Assistance Application Process
- Tuition Assistance Application: The Prep's Tuition Assistance application opens on October 2, 2023 for all families. Families can apply here. St. John's Prep's School ID# is 14988.
- Current Families: Tuition assistance is not renewed automatically. Current students who receive tuition assistance must re-apply each year. The 2024-2025 academic year's deadline is December 1, 2023.
- Prospective Families: The deadline to apply for tuition assistance for the 2023-2024 academic year is January 5, 2024.
- Process and Forms: Blackbaud Financial Aid Management provides this helpful guide to the process (en español), including a list of forms families will need to submit.
Tuition Assistance Application
Questions? If you have any questions concerning tuition assistance, please contact the Finance Office at 978-774-1050 x323.
The St. Francis Xavier Merit Scholarship is a $10,000 merit-based award for incoming freshmen of exceptional promise. Eligibility is based on admission test scores and a student's overall application. It is not necessary to submit a separate application for this scholarship. The award is given for each of a student's four high school years. Students who receive the St. Francis Xavier Merit Scholarship may also qualify for need-based assistance, so we encourage families to apply for tuition assistance.
Designed to foster excellence, promote leadership, nurture character development, and encourage service to others, the scholarship is named for St. Francis Xavier, patron saint of the Xaverian Brothers, the congregation of religious who sponsor St. John’s Prep and 12 other schools throughout the United States.
Tuition and Fees
- The 2023-2024 tuition for grades 6, 7, and 8 is $31,295
- The 2023-2024 tuition for grades 9 through 12 is $31,745
Middle School Grades 6-8
|Tuition||Tuition Less Average Tuition Assistance Award of $11,786*|
|2023-24 Total Tuition||$31,295||$31,295|
|Deposit (10% of Net Tuition Due at Time of Enrollment)||$3,130||$1,951|
|Less Average Tuition Assistance||-||$11,786|
|Tuition Balance (Less Deposit)||$28,165||$17,558|
|Tuition Payment Plan Options|
|10 Monthly Payments||$2,817||
High School Grades 9-12
|Tuition||Tuition Less Average Tuition Assistance Award of $13,823*|
|2023-2024 Total Tuition||$31,745||$31,745|
|Deposit (10% of Net Tuition Due at Time of Enrollment)||$3,175||$1,792|
|Less Average Tuition Assistance||-||$13,823|
|Tuition Balance (Less Deposit)||$28,570||$16,130|
|Tuition Payment Plan Options|
|10 Monthly Payments||$2,857||$1,613|
*Represents the average amount of tuition assistance awarded to students in the 2023-2024 enrollment year. Tuition assistance is not guaranteed, families must apply each year and the actual award amount is determined based on each family's circumstances. This average is intended to be used as a tool to help with planning.
|Middle School Grades 6-8||High School 9-12|
|Textbooks & Digital Textbooks (Estimated Range Based on Courseload)||$100-$150||$150-$400|
|Admin Fee (Waived for Annual Payment)||$350||$350|
|Bus Transportation (Optional)||$2,750||$2,750|
|Daily Lunch / Snack||Included||See Menu for Pricing|
|Co Curricular Activities*||Included||Included|
|Musical Instruments||Required for Class - Cost Varies||Optional|
*Includes participation in the clubs, athletics, arts, and field trips excluding overnight trips
- What is the application deadline for tuition assistance?
- How does St. John's determine eligibility for tuition assistance?
- What about divorced or separated parents?
- If my son qualifies for a St. Francis Xavier Merit Scholarship are we still eligible for tuition assistance?
- What should I expect to pay for clothes?
- When will I be notified about tuition assistance awards?
- Can I appeal the amount of my family's award?
- When is it too late to apply for tuition assistance?
- Can you meet every family's need?
- Does St. John's Prep offer financing?
- What payment plans do you offer?
- What is my re-enrollment/enrollment deposit and when is it due?