Center for Learning and Academic Success
Academic life at St. John's is challenging and rewarding. Our Center for Learning and Academic Success (CLAS) is designed to provide appropriate academic support for students.
While we do not modify our curriculum, we work collaboratively with students, teachers, school counselors, and parents to ensure that all students with the potential to meet our high academic standards can achieve academic and personal success at St. John's. The center serves Prep students in grades 6 through 12.
7:30 am to 5 pm, Monday through Thursday
7:30 am to 4 pm, Friday
We know that some students acquire and process information differently. The CLAS provides students who have learning differences and meet our high academic standards with the support and services they need to be successful at St. John's. This approach is similar to what is available at many schools and highly selective colleges and universities. Our CLAS staff will work in close collaboration with students in grades 6 through 12, and their teachers and parents, to help students:
- Understand how they learn and develop strategies tailored to their learning style
- Become independent, confident learners who advocate on their own behalf for appropriate support, services and/or accommodations
- Develop a positive self-image and healthy attitude about different learning styles
- Acquire effective study, time management and organizational skills
Pathway to CLAS
The Center for Learning and Academic Success provides services and support for students who submit documentation of a diagnosed learning difference and/or receive a referral from their school counselor:
- For students who submit documentation of a diagnosed learning difference, the CLAS staff will review documentation, and if appropriate, develop a Student Success Plan.
- A learning coach will be assigned to students who receive a referral from their school counselor. CLAS staff will then assist the family in pursuing an evaluation for the student, and if indicated and appropriate, will develop a Student Success Plan.
Services in CLAS
The staff of the Center for Learning and Academic Success will provide a wide range of individual and small group support and services.
- Student Success Plans
- Coaching (individual and in small groups) to help students learn essential academic skills and become effective self-advocates
- Small group workshops to strengthen organizational, study, time management and test-taking skills
- Peer tutoring
- Accommodations for national standardized testing
- Parent education and support
Workshops open to all students, without referral, will be offered through the Center for Learning and Academic Success at various times during the school year. These workshops will focus on essential skills such as organization and time management.
The academic program at St. John's is rigorous, and students with learning differences may find the demands of the course work all the more challenging. Because every student's needs are unique, it is important for families to discuss any learning differences with the Office of Admission during the admission process.