Mr. Pawlyk's Reading Group
Do you love to read?
Join English teacher Jay Pawlyk '91 in a reading group for interested Prep parents, alumni, faculty, or staff members. You'll read a variety of literature, and even go on a few field trips. The group meets Wednesday evenings from 7 pm to 9 pm on the 5th floor of Xavier Hall, adjacent to the Religious Studies Department.
This isn't a class you need to register for. Come when you can. Talk when you want. All are welcome!
- September 19: "Teacher Man" by Frank McCourt. Best experienced on CD; check your local library.
- October 24: "The Financial Lives of Poets" by Jess Walter.
- December 2: "The Laramie Project" by Moises Kaufman. We will read the play and attend the 2 pm performance of the Prep’s production of the play on Sunday, December 2. After the performance, we'll get a bite to eat and discuss the play. This is a Sunday meeting!
- December 12: A group reading of holiday poems, short stories, etc.; details to be announced.
- January 23: "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo, first half.
- February 27: "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo, second half.
- March 13: The Sonnets of William Shakespeare.
- April 10: "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury.
- May 22: "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, first half.
- June 19: "Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, second half. We will take a field trip to St. Anselm College, Mr. Pawlyk's alma mater, to tour a Benedictine monastery much like the one that provides a key setting of Follett's book.