Computational technologies have significantly transformed modern society in many ways, both obvious and subtle. Few areas of life remain untouched. Living, working and contributing to society increasingly demands effective command of information technologies. In response, the Computer Science Department (course descriptions follow) at St. John's aims to help each student:
- Think computationally by learning to understand, analyze, and solve problems by applying a variety of strategies appropriate for computational technologies;
- Collaborate effectively with others in the course of solving significant problems;
- Program a computer and organize information effectively with one;
- Understand how computer hardware and communication systems (such as the web) are organized;
- Use information technology in an ethical and responsible way.